July 18, 2017
Update on Launch of HPD Builder 2.1 – Possible Action Required
Dear HPD Builder User –
Please read this entire email as it may require action on your part to manage the transition of your HPDs to the new 2.1 format before August 1.
We are pleased to report to you that we are on schedule to make the HPD Builder 2.1 available on August 1. This memo provides detailed information on the transition, giving you background on the transition and the steps you should take to ensure a smooth transition for your HPDs.
Many of you have worked with us through the transition from HPD Builder 1.0 to 2.0. We want to let you know that we have put in place much more extensive work on specification, testing and piloting of Builder 2.1, than occurred in the past. Thank you to the many members of the Builder User community who have given us many suggestions, reported issues and helped us as pilot testers for Builder 2.1. With your help and advice, we have been able to complete extensive testing of the system. Everyone’s experience will benefit from your contributions!
The transition from HPD Builder 2.0 to HPD Builder 2.1 is planned to take place the evening of July 31, and be available for login on Tuesday, August 1. Although we have high confidence that we can maintain this schedule, it is possible that something unexpected will arise as we complete the preparations. We will be updating you on the transition status in another email on July 19. In the meantime, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. You can reach us by email at email@example.com, or by phone at +1.781.876.8871.
HPD Open Standard – Transition from Version 2.0 to Version 2.1
HPD Open Standard version 2.1 was publicly released on May 19, 2017.
Because version 2.1 is a minor release of HPD Open Standard, it automatically replaces HPD 2.0, as of the implementation date, which we are making coincident with the availability of HPD Builder 2.1. The implementation date is August 1, 2017.
Any unpublished HPDs in process at that time in HPD Builder 2.0 must be updated to reflect the HPD 2.1 Open Standard, and all subsequent HPDs will be created with the 2.1 Standard. This includes subsequent updates to already published HPD 2.0 reports.
Any HPDs created outside HPD Builder will also be required to comply with the HPD 2.1 Open Standard, in order to be published in the HPD Public Repository, beginning August 1, 2017.
Builder 2.0 to Builder 2.1 - Production System Transition
- HPD Builder 2.0 will be no longer be available after 5PM ET on Monday, July 31.
- We are planning the production system transition from HPD Builder 2.0 to HPD Builder 2.1 overnight, during which time the Builder system will not be available. The system is planned to be back up on Tuesday, August 1, at 9 AM ET.
- During the transition the system software will be upgraded to the HPD Builder 2.1 functionality.
- Once HPD Builder 2.1 becomes available on August 1, you will be able to upgrade existing 2.0 product records to the 2.1 format and all new work will be done in the 2.1 format. Any HPD published from HPD Builder 2.1 will be in the 2.1 format.
- There will be no changes made to already-published HPDs in the 2.0 format. If you wish to subsequently publish an update to an already-published HPD 2.0, you will be able to copy the existing 2.0 record into the new 2.1 format, perform the update, and publish the new version of the HPD in the 2.1 format.
HPDC will perform a complete backup of HPD Builder 2.0 prior to the production system transition, including all user files, to ensure that a full recovery is possible in the event that a problem arises with the system transition process.
Recommended Steps to Prepare and Transition Your Work to HPD Builder 2.1
- Familiarize yourself and your team with HPD 2.1 Open Standard.
- There are videos available on the HPDC website http://www.hpd-collaborative.org/c-training/ that will guide you through this information, as well as the HPD Open Standard v2.1 document http://www.hpd-collaborative.org/hpd-2-1-standard/. FAQs are also available on the HPDC Support Portal https://hpdc.freshdesk.com/support/solutions.
- We have provided a “Was-Is” matrix to assist you in understanding these differences as they apply to the Builder, which is available on our website http://www.hpd-collaborative.org/builder-2-1-feature-matrix/ and also attached to this email.
- Assess how the changes in version 2.1 will affect your company’s HPDs that have been previously reported using the HPD 2.0, and how those newly-created with HPD 2.1 will be different. Here are a few areas to take special note of in your review:
Version 2.1 introduces an update to the HPD Hazards and Warnings Lists. This update was made to bring the HPD hazards and warnings lists into compliance with the most recent release of the GreenScreen® for Safer Chemicals method, which forms the foundation for the hazard screening performed by HPD Builder, as required in the HPD Open Standard. As a result of changes in these priority lists and warnings, the GreenScreen list translator, assessment and hazard warnings results may change when you rescreen your product in HPD Builder 2.1.
Inventory reporting has changed. In Builder 2.0, we implemented a workaround for Basic Inventory reporting. This was needed due to an erratum in HPD Open Standard 2.0, which was corrected in HPD Open Standard 2.1. This correction is now reflected in separating the data entry mechanisms for Basic and Nested Material inventories in Builder 2.1. In addition, we have added a third option – Nested Material Inventory with Product Threshold, in order to harmonize with LEED v4. It is now possible to report a Nested Material inventory with Material-level or Product-level thresholds. These changes in Builder 2.1 give you more inventory options and clarity in reporting your product content inventory.
LEED Pre-check Indicator. Our studies indicate that the majority of usage for HPDs at this time is for the LEED v4 Material Ingredient credit. To facilitate the creation and use of HPDs for this purpose, in HPD 2.1 we have created an automated aid to review the information in an HPD, and indicate whether the proper data fields are included to comply with the LEED credit requirements. This pre-check is optional, and can be performed for both Option 1 and Option 2 of the credit. If you choose to use this new feature, the result will be displayed for you to see in the Builder tool, and also will be reflected on the Summary page of the HPD. The Pre-check Indicator does not evaluate the content of the data field – only whether the required fields are populated correctly in your completed HPD.
Completeness check. The Completeness Check, previously available in HPD Builder 1.0, was discontinued in Builder 2.0. There were many requests for this feature to be reinstated. It is now operational in HPD Builder 2.1. This will aide you in determining whether you have properly completed all relevant fields in the HPD, and that the format of the data you have entered is compliant with the HPD Open Standard v2.1.
- Review the “What’s New in HPD Builder 2.1” PowerPoint presentation. This will be available at the following link What's New In Builder 2.1 on July 17. This presentation will take you through each of the changes in the functioning of HPD Builder. It is designed for someone already familiar with Builder 2.0. Introductory training for those not already familiar with the HPD Builder are currently in preparation, and will also be made available in the coming weeks.
- HPD Builder 2.1 retains the same user interface and account management features of Builder 2.0.
- The primary changes are the introduction of new functionality to enable the creation of HPDs compliant with HPD Open Standard version 2.1.
- Complete and publish any unfinished HPD 2.0 reports that you wish to publish in the HPD 2.0 format, no later than 5 PM ET on Monday, July 31, 2017.
Logon to your HPD Builder account, as normal, after 9 AM ET, Tuesday, August 1, 2017 to resume work with your HPDs. You will be able to upgrade existing 2.0 product records to the 2.1 format and all new work will be done in the 2.1 format.
Questions, Comments, Issue Resolution
We have established a “Community of Practice Forum” for HPD Builder 2.1 – this is also accessible on the HPDC Support Portal: https://hpdc.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/8000007667.
Any updated status information will be posted on the HPD Builder login screen – available when you login to your Builder account.
- You may also send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time. We will respond no later than one business day. Or, contact us by phone at +1.781.876.8871.