The recommended way for suppliers to provide hazard data for proprietary substances is to use the Supplier HPD Extension to the HPD Builder. This tool is built for this purpose and allows you and the supplier to keep your HPD Builder accounts separate. Suppliers or consultants can use this free tool to screen substances and send that hazard screening information over to the manufacturer's HPD Builder account without divulging substance identity.
Alternatively, you may follow the steps below. This procedure invites the supplier directly into your HPD Builder account, which is not ideal. However, this is the procedure HPDC would have recommended prior to the release in May 2020 of the Supplier HPD Extension, and it still works technically.
- Invite suppliers/consultants as team members to your Builder account. The "Invite team member" button is located on the top left of your Dashboard. Your suppliers will receive an email notifying them of the invitation. Once the suppliers/consultants have access to the Builder, they will see your HPDs on their Builder account dashboard and should follow the steps below (in order):
- Go to Add Substance and select Manual Substance
- Search substance in "CAS RN# or Identifier" search box and select the substance.
- Replace the name of the substance with "Proprietary". You may add tags to track multiple proprietary substances in the same HPD. i.e.: Proprietary A, B, or C, or Proprietary pigment.
- Select "Do not disclose the name of this substance on the HPD."
- Select "I do not want to disclose this substance's CAS RN #."
- Enter the rest of the substance data and save.
Once a substance has been entered to the HPD following these steps, the data for that substance is not editable. Therefore it is impossible for any user to go back and see the substance's CAS RN.