HPD Open Standard version 2.0 was released in September 2015. (It is no longer the current version of the HPD.) Some of the key updates to HPD v2.0 include:
- The option to provide a content inventory organized by materials that comprise the product, with substances listed under each material. This Nested approach more closely reflects how products are made and how manufacturers think about products and assess alternatives. It is also possible to provide a Basic inventory, in which all substances are reported, without regard to how they are grouped in materials. (For more on this topic, see this article.)
- Hazards are associated with substances within the materials rather than presenting as a single list in the summary. This provides important context for the user.
- Residuals and impurities are not included in thresholds. Thresholds are provided for each material and the product can include materials with different thresholds.
- Degree of disclosure is defined more fully, providing the user with more information and enabling manufacturers to prepare an HPD without disclosing the name or CAS number of all substances, as long as all substances are characterized and screened for hazards.
- Special conditions have been identified that are impediments to HPD preparation and guidance is provided to enable manufacturers to proceed with the HPD.